Eating clean and healthy has grown in popularity, with more people committing to the wellness trend. And among the most marketed healthy foods today is a smoothie, which can be easily made with few ingredients.
In most cases, smoothies can be thick and creamy with ingredients ranging from vegetables, yogurts, dairy or non-dairy milk, juices, and many more options. And the result and flavor you can get may vary depending on those. It’s relatively easy to prepare at home, so whatever gets to go into your smoothie could be your choice. Alternatively, you can get them online if you visit lifessmoothe.com.au.
So, if you are ready to reap the positive benefits of smoothies, you need to know how to prepare them without undermining their deliciousness. With that, here are some secrets to making healthy and delicious smoothies.
1. Incorporate Fruits And Vegetables
If you aim to improve your health by eating healthier and cleaner, choosing to incorporate fruits and vegetables in smoothies can play a vital role. They are especially rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and could help boost your overall health.
Adding fruits and vegetables of your choice can also help keep you full for longer. You may also notice that these smoothies can help control your cravings. As a result, it can halt you from filling yourself with unhealthy snacks.
Apart from fruits having a natural sweetness, they can also be great for your digestive system. And with that, you can never go wrong with adding fruits and vegetables to your smoothies.
2. Include Healthy Plant-Based Fats
Most people may associate fats with being unhealthy and consider them an enemy when it comes to eating right. However, fats remain a vital part of every diet, and you shouldn’t run away from them.
If you aren’t sure about adding fat to your smoothie, there is no need to be, as there are healthy fats you can use. These natural fats have so much to offer, with the main benefit being that they’re helpful to your body functions.
To get healthy fats, consider getting ingredients that are rich in omega-3. Some healthy fat sources may include olive oil, flax oil, and avocados, which can work well with most smoothies.
3. Fiber Is A Must Have
Making a smoothie for breakfast might be fast and convenient, but, in some cases, it may not be as filling. If you want to stay full longer, using the right ingredients is essential. And among the best ingredients to add to your smoothie is fiber.
Fiber is great for both your heart and digestive health. It’s beneficial in stabilizing your blood sugar and keeping all the hunger away. In addition, fiber can slow down digestion, thus keeping you full for a longer time.
That said, you may want to get the right type and healthy high-fiber food sources to add to your smoothie. Some of these ingredients include:
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds can be a good source of fiber and various vitamins and minerals. They have no starch, making them easier to digest. You can add two tablespoons of these to your smoothie, which translates to at least 4 grams of fiber.
- Shredded coconut: Coconut shreds usually contain around 7 grams of fiber per cup. It is another good source of fiber and generally aids in digestion and weight loss.
- Hemp seeds: Although they might not be a popular option, hemp seeds contain roughly eight or more grams of fiber. Aside from fiber, they can also be a good source of protein and antioxidants.
- Chia Seeds– These seeds have risen in popularity over time, with more people looking to incorporate them into their diet. Smoothies can offer the best chance to use these seeds, with a tablespoon containing at least six grams of fiber. Benefits of chia seeds may include healthy digestion and blood sugar management.
4. Get Natural Based Protein Powder
Protein powder is another easy ingredient that can be incorporated into a healthy and delicious smoothie. But with all the different products and formulas offered on the market, you might be overwhelmed. When shopping, opt for a naturally-based protein powder that offers quality ingredients and can meet your protein needs. Ideally, the choice of protein powder may vary per person, depending on your fitness goals and dietary needs. You may try different brands until you settle for the best option that works for you.
Smoothies can be one way to go if you want to switch to a healthier and more delicious breakfast option. They are easy to do, allowing you to add any ingredients that offer the proper nutrients. For a healthier option, ensure that your smoothie contains fruits, veggies, natural-based protein powder, healthy fats, and enough fiber.